Friday, August 23, 2013

Wedding Flowers - Bouquets

Bouquets, boutonnieres and centerpieces are totally different things to consider for your wedding so I'm going to do three separate posts. Today we'll focus on the bouquets :-)

The flower(s) you select for your bouquets should be guided by a few things:

1) The season
2) The formality
3) Your colors
4) Your budget

For instance - I had always pictured an outdoor wedding with daisies or tulips in a simple, mono-colored bouquet. My florist showed me some examples of tulip bouquets and I voiced a concern of making sure the tulip was large and open versus closed/petit. They said my wedding date (late May) would be close to the end of the season but that they would let me know if the size became a concern and put me down for a white tulips.

Lo-and-behold, 2 weeks before our wedding I get a call from them that they just got a shipment of tulips from their supplier for the wedding they had for the week before mine and the buds of the tulips were about the size of their thumb and closed. They said for the wedding they were preparing for the tulips should open and be fine but that they were concerned that my tulips that were going to be delivered the next weekend were going to be even smaller.

I was instantly starting to worry but luckily they already had a plan!! They said that their supplier offered to give them white mini-calla lilies for the same cost as the tulips which would be a similar look for what I had been going for (which is why I went for tulips over daisies). I happily agreed to switch to the mini-calla lilies (they had secretly been what I wanted but were out of my budget) and the end result was wonderful!


So, by paying attention to the season to make sure your flower will be available, considering the formality of your wedding to choose between multiple types of flowers that are in season, deciding the color(s) you want to use and of course making sure that you pick what works for your budget, your florist and you can create a beautify bouquet!









No comments:

Post a Comment